24 February 2018
Huib Modderkolk’s report ‘Dutch agencies provide crucial intel about Russia’s interference in US-elections’  dated 25 February 2018 is one of the best spy stories I ever read. Hackers from the Dutch intelligence service AVID spied on the Russian hacker group Cozy Bear for some years. They watched them hacking the Democratic Party and manipulating the U.S. elections in 2016. 
Some days later Dutch banks and the Dutch Tax Agency  were hit by massive DDoS attacks with a peak volume of 40 Gbps. The alleged nation-state threat actor responsible behind these attacks was rapidly found because the timing of the attacks was just too coincidental. In addition, it is widely assumed that only nation-state actors have the resources to run attacks of this size. Janene Pieters reported on 29 January 2018 that according to ESET the attacks came from servers in Russia. 
But blaming is difficult in the case of cyber-attacks.
On 6 February 2017 Janene Pieters reported that an 18-year-old man from Oosterhout was arrested in connection with the DDoS attacks.  Tijs Hofmans report  in ComputerWeekly.com reveals some remarkable background details:
“In messages to the Tweakers systems administrator, Jelle S claimed to have bought a ready-made “stresser” DDoS package on the dark web for which he had paid €50 a week to send 50-100Gb/s of data to victims.”
Crazy world! A script kiddie misused a professional tool for running stress tests against web sites to do the DDoS attacks. And for a very reasonable price.
Blaming becomes a big issue when it comes to DDoS on critical infrastructures. According to the new U.S. nuclear strategy  such kind of attack on the U.S. homeland could, in the worst case, result in a counter strike with nuclear weapons.
Have a great weekend.
- Modderkolk H. Dutch agencies provide crucial intel about Russia’s interference in US-elections – Tech – Voor nieuws, achtergronden en columns [Internet]. De Volkskrant. 2018 [cited 2018 Jan 30]. Available from: https://www.volkskrant.nl/tech/dutch-agencies-provide-crucial-intel-about-russia-s-interference-in-us-elections~a4561913/
- Cluley G. How Dutch intelligence spied on the Russian hackers attacking the DNC [Internet]. Graham Cluley. 2018 [cited 2018 Jan 30]. Available from: https://www.grahamcluley.com/dutch-intelligence-spied-russia-hackers-attacking-dnc/
- Cimpanu C. Dutch Banks, Tax Agency Under DDoS Attacks a Week After Big Russian Hack Reveal [Internet]. BleepingComputer. 2018 [cited 2018 Feb 24]. Available from: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/dutch-banks-tax-agency-under-ddos-attacks-a-week-after-big-russian-hack-reveal/
- Pieters J. Russian servers linked to DDoS attack on Netherlands financial network: Report [Internet]. NL Times. 2018 [cited 2018 Feb 24]. Available from: https://nltimes.nl/2018/01/29/russian-servers-linked-ddos-attack-netherlands-financial-network-report
- Pieters J. Suspect arrested for cyber attacks on Dutch tax service; Bunq [Internet]. NL Times. 2018 [cited 2018 Feb 24]. Available from: https://nltimes.nl/2018/02/06/suspect-arrested-cyber-attacks-dutch-tax-service-bunq
- Hofmans T. Teenager suspected of crippling Dutch banks with DDoS attacks [Internet]. ComputerWeekly.com. 2018 [cited 2018 Feb 24]. Available from: http://www.computerweekly.com/news/252434665/Teenager-suspected-of-crippling-Dutch-banks-with-DDoS-attacks
- Sanger DE, Broad WJ. Pentagon Suggests Countering Devastating Cyberattacks With Nuclear Arms. The New York Times [Internet]. 2018 Jan 16 [cited 2018 Jan 30]; Available from: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/16/us/politics/pentagon-nuclear-review-cyberattack-trump.html